“Clef Notes” #1 – August 15, 2018
Abbreviated updates for WSHS Orchestra students and parents
Welcome to the first of the 2018-19 WSHS Orchestra “Clef Notes.” These Notes will contain brief summaries of our classroom announcements, information on additional performance opportunities, and other information concerning the WSHS Orchestras. Please take a moment to read through the Notes, mark your calendars, and take advantage of the opportunities. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
1. Our website is: www.whitestationorchestra.weebly.com, which includes:
- A Google Folder, containing copies of all documents used during the year.
- The complete 2018-19 Syllabus.
- An Updates page for “What’s New,” Assignments, and these Clef Notes.
- A Resources page, including links to useful music organizations, practicing tips, and videos.
- Remind logs for all three WSHS orchestra groups- 6th period, 7th period, and the parents.
- A Go Play! page with information on honors orchestras, auditions, and competitions.
2. Our Remind codes are: 6th period: @wshsorc6 7th period: @wshsorc7, and, for all parents: @wsorchpar. Text your code to 81010 or 901-881-9447. You may also register at “rmd.at/classcode.” You can send text messages to me through this service, too.
3. My school email address is email@example.com.
4. Playing test email submissions will go to firstname.lastname@example.org. (The first one is due August 27)
1. Members of the Advanced Orchestra will perform – in both small and large chamber group settings – during the Open House at White Station High on Thursday, August 30. Some of these students will also be performing at WSHS on August 21 for a parent/teacher gathering.
2. Our Fall Orchestra Concert is Monday, October 1 at 7:00 p.m. (6:30 call) in the WSHS auditorium. Come hear their first formal performance of the year!
3. Away from WSHS- see the Go Play! - Festivals page on our website for links and details.
Austin Peay State University’s Orchestra Honors Clinic is Sept. 27-29.
The U. of Tennessee Viola Celebration is Sept. 29-30. There is a cello workshop in February 2019.
The U. of Memphis will host its annual high school honors orchestra clinic on Oct. 18-20.
1. Ms. Polesky (our Memphis Music Initiative Artistic Fellow) rejoined us on August 13, and will be working with our students on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. She will be helping with chamber music groups, sectionals, individual instruction, and master classes.
2. The $60.00 Orchestra Activity Payment can now be paid. The deadline for the payment is August 31. Please send cash or check (made to White Station High School or WSHS) as soon as you can. Thank you.
3. The first Practice Plan (covering two weeks) is due August 24. Students are setting goals, measuring their progress, and seeking feedback. Please sign the Plan before the student returns it on August 24.
4. Students should have their instrument and all of their supplies in class every day. I will be checking for these supplies as part of the Class Participation grade.
It’s going to be a great year in the White Station Orchestras!