“Clef Notes” #2 – September 12, 2017
Congratulations to the Advanced Orchestra for a successful performance at the August 29 WSHS Open House! Watch for more chamber music opportunities throughout the year.
New on the website: www.whitestationorchestra.weebly.com
The WSHS Honors Orchestra Syllabus link is now on the front page of the website, just underneath the Registration button.
The Practicing Resources now contains a link to SmartMusic, which is an online music tutorial program that allows students to record their playing for immediate assessment and feedback. This is not for playing tests or grades, but is an additional resource for students to improve their playing by receiving immediate feedback. It’s the next best thing to a private teacher. The students’ class code was sent in a Remind last week (which can be found on a sub-page of our website)
Our Fall Orchestra Concert is Monday, October 2 at 7:00 p.m. (6:30 call) in the WSHS auditorium. Come hear their first formal performance of the year! Formal performances require our concert black dress attire. Details can be found our syllabus.
Away from WSHS- see the EVENTS page on our website for links and details.
1. Saturday Jazz workshop at U. of Memphis through the fall
2. Austin Peay State U’s Orchestra Honors Clinic is Oct. 5-7. Application deadline is Sept 15.
3. The U. of Tennessee Viola Celebration is Sept. 16-17. There is a cello workshop in Feb., 2018.
4. The U. of Memphis will host its inaugural high school honors orchestra clinic on Oct. 26-28. Robert Moody will be the conductor!
5. Middle TN State Univ. is hosting an honors orchestra weekend Nov. 2-4
The All-West Tennessee Honors Orchestra Auditions are November 18.
WSHS Parent Conferences are Thursday, September 14 from 3:00-6:00 p.m.
The registration deadline for the band and orchestra trip to Boston, MA is this Friday, September 15!! Please go to https://whitestationband.org/boston-spring-band-trip-2018/ to register and make the down payment. The login is whitestationboston18. The password is bostrip18. Once you have registered, you can enroll in the band booster fundraisers, which are already underway.
The $60.00 Orchestra Activity Payment was due today. Thank you for those have taken care of this already. For the others, please make arrangements with Dr. Palmer if you need more time or need to spread out the payments. Please send cash or check (made to White Station High School or WSHS) as soon as you can. Thank you.
Sixth Period is started to organize their chamber groups. Ms. Polesky will be assisting with repertoire, coaching, and scheduling of performances.
Remind codes are: 6th period: @wshsorc6 7th period: @wshsorc7, and, for all parents: @wsorchpar. Text your code to 81010 or 901-881-9447. You may also register at “rmd.at/classcode.” You can send text messages to me through this service, too.
The students have completed and electronically submitted playing tests on C, F, and B-flat major scales.
Three separate assignments need to be completed and turned in by September 25.
1. A playing test on French Roast, which included melodic excerpts and improvisation.
2. The quarterly Honors Project. Students choose one of the following: Program Note, Concert Report, Music Journal Article Synopsis, Music Recording Comparison, and a live Chamber Music Performance. The rubric is in our google folder.
3. The second three-week Practice Plan (handed out on pink paper).