“Clef Notes” #1 – August 21, 2017
Welcome to the first of the 2017-18 WSHS Orchestra “Clef Notes.” Like Cliff Notes, our “Clef Notes” will contain brief summaries of our class announcements, information on additional performance opportunities, and other “notes” concerning the WSHS Orchestras. Please take a moment to read through the Notes, mark your calendars, and take advantage of the opportunities. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
1. New this year, our website: www.whitestationorchestra.weebly.com, which includes:
- A Registration link to enroll in orchestra
- A Google Folder, containing all documents issued during the year.
- Remind logs for all three WSHS orchestra groups- 6th period, 7th period, and the parents.
- Links to local and national music groups and practicing resources,
- The Events page has information about honors orchestras, auditions, competitions, and festivals
- A Calendar for orchestra activities (this also has some of my elementary activities on it)
2. Remind codes are: 6th period: @wshsorc6 7th period: @wshsorc7, and, for all parents: @wsorchpar. Text your code to 81010 or 901-881-9447. You may also register at “rmd.at/classcode.” You can send text messages to me through this service, too.
3. My email address is email@example.com.
4. Playing test electronic submissions will go to firstname.lastname@example.org. (The first one is due August 24)
1. The Advance Orchestra students will be performing – in both small and large chamber group settings – during the Open House at White Station High on Tuesday, August 29. More specifics will be given – in a handout – to the students involved.
2. Our Fall Orchestra Concert is Monday, October 2 at 7:00 p.m. (6:30 call) in the WSHS auditorium. Come hear their first formal performance of the year!
3. Away from WSHS- see the EVENTS page on our website for links and details.
Austin Peay State U’s Orchestra Honors Clinic is Oct. 5-7.
The U. of Tennessee Viola Celebration is Sept. 16-17. There is a cello workshop in February, 2018.
The U. of Memphis will have a high school honors orchestra clinic on Oct. 26-28.
1. Ms. Polesky (our Memphis Music Initiative Artistic Fellow) rejoined us on August 14, and will be working with our students on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. She will be helping with chamber music groups, sectionals, individual instruction, and masterclasses.
2. The $60.00 Orchestra Activity Payment is now due. Please send cash or check (made to White Station High School or WSHS) as soon as you can. Thank you.
3. Students should now have their instrument and all of their supplies in class every day.
3. The band and orchestra trip to Boston, MA is in the planning stage. When it is finalized, there will be a link on our website.
4. The deadline to apply to the Tri-M National Music Honor Society Chapter is this Friday, August 25. Mr. Sims (our band director) is the faculty sponsor. The sign up sheet is on his office door. You must have earned grades at WSHS for one year before you can apply.