“Clef Notes” #3 – September 17, 2018
Abbreviated updates for WSHS Orchestra students and parents
1. Our Fall Orchestra Concert is Monday, October 1 at 7:00 p.m. (6:30 call) in the WSHS auditorium. Come hear their first formal performance of the year!
All performances – unless otherwise specified – will require formal concert attire.
1. Men: Black Suit with white dress shirt, long tie, and black dress socks & shoes.
2. Women: Long sleeveed black dress, blouse and skirt, or blouse and long pants (leggings are not pants). Skirts and dresses will go past your knees when you are seated. Black or neutral stockings, and black dress shoes.
2. Away from WSHS- see the Go Play!/Festivals page for information about College clinics and festivals, including the U of Memphis, UT-Knox, APSU, and MTSU.
3. TN-ASTA is hosting a Solo Competition (with prize money and recitals) on December 15.
4. The All-West Tennessee Honors Orchestra Auditions are November 17. UT-Martin is hosting an audition preparation clinic on Saturday, October 13. Information is posted on our Auditions page.
All Assignments are posted under the “What’s New/Assignments” tab & in our Google Folder.
1. Three major scale playing test have been completed. The fourth scale test – and last one for the first quarter – is due September 25.
2. The first quarter Honors Activity is due September 21.
3. The second Practice Plan (covering three weeks) was due September 14. Students are setting goals, measuring their progress, and seeking feedback. The next Plan is due September 28.
- Tim Shiu, U of Memphis violin professor worked with the sixth period violinists last week.
- Kimberly Patterson, U of Memphis cello professor, will be working with the cellists this week.
- Noslen Woods, composer, starts working with the students on four of her compositions this week.
- Marisa Polesky continues to assist as our Memphis Music Initiative Fellow.
Our fall semester MMI Field Trip will be on Friday morning, November 16. We will travel to the Halloran Center at the Orpheum to see Infinitus, a beat boxing string trio. We will need at least three chaperones for the trip. Please check your calendars and let me know if you can help.
Memphis Symphony Concerts
Sept. 29 (7:30 at Cannon) & Sept. 30 (2:30 at GPAC). Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto and Bernstein’s Candide.
Oct. 6 (7:30) and Oct. 7 (1:00) at the Orpheum. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone.
Oct. 20 (7:30 at Cannon) Cirque de la Symponie.